Preview Mode Links will not work in preview mode

The Press Gallery: Inside Alberta politics

Jun 18, 2016

This week’s episode of The Press Gallery, Edmonton Journal’s politics podcast, reviewed some of the biggest stories out of the Alberta legislature in the last seven days. Premier Rachel came close to a perfect score in her party’s leadership review last weekend, getting the endorsement of 97.8 per cent of the NDP faithful in attendance. The main question out of the convention: Just what were the other 2.2 per cent thinking? The Journal’s opinion editor Sarah O’Donnell discussed that with city columnist Paula Simons and provincial affairs columnist Graham Thomson. Though Notley’s leadership review was a cakewalk, her government signed up for another task this week that will be nowhere near so easy. Education Minister David Eggen announced that his department is planning a sweeping review of Alberta’s K-12 curriculum, looking at all the major subjects at the same time. Education reporter Janet French joined the podcast to discuss what’s driving the curriculum shake-up. The group also looked at the decision by Agriculture Minister Oneil Carlier to dismiss the Agriculture Financial Services Board after an internal audit sparked by an anonymous tip. Good Stuff from the Gallery links Janet’s pick The story of the tragic death of Ezekiel Stephan in 2012 begins with the tragic death of his grandmother in 1994 by Jen Gerson Paula’s pick A day of infamy by Alex Massie Sarah’s pick Graham’s pick: The mind of Donald Trump by Dan P. McAdams